Thursday, March 29, 2012

Day trips from Brugge?

My husband and I are planning to spend a relaxing vacation in Bruges (for about a week), but I anticipate that we will want to take some day trips out of the town. Apart from Brussels (we will go there for a day or two), are there other quaint towns that we could see? We don%26#39;t want to go to Amsterdam on this trip, but places that are an hour or two away by rail would be great.



Should Ghent be on our list? Is the coast pretty? any small towns in France nearby worth a trip? Thanks in advance for any advice you have.



PS I have been to Bruges %26amp; Brussels (awhile back), but my husband has never been--he loves the quaint, medieval, small towns though.




|||



Take the short train ride train to Ostend...stroll the seaside promenade and ride the tram around the coast.





De Haan is a very cute little town...




|||



The coastal tram only costs a few euros for a day pass, greeat value for money.





Ghent is worth a visit, a very interesting city.




|||



Look at www.hotelghent.be for info about Ghent and the Flemish Ardennes with the historic city Oudenaarde and the lovely small villages on the countryside ....it%26#39;s in the south of Ghent.





Look also at these links for more info and transport.



http://www.gentsefeesten.be/english/index.htm



http://www.visitgent.be/



http://www.hotelghent.be/en/transport.hb





Kind regards and have a pleasant stay in Belgium !





Luc




|||



Thanks for your replies.



As I am looking through this Bruges forum, I see some recent posts discussing the incredible crowds in Bruges. I know that it is gorgeous there, but it has been over 10 years since I last visited and these posts are making me wonder if I ought to have another Belgian town as a home base (and just visit Bruge). I am still in the planning phase of this trip, so any opinions/suggestions would be appreciated.




|||



I can advice you Horebeke as a homebase from where you can visit brugge- ghent - brussels.It%26#39;s only 30 min. driving from Ghent.



It%26#39;s only an idea...look at www.horenbecca.com.





I%26#39;m the owner ;-)



Kind regards,



Luc




|||



I enjoyed a day trip to Diksmuide a couple of summers ago, a nice town and I seem to recall it was only maybe 30-40 minutes from Brugge by train.





http://www.trabel.com/diksmuide/diksmuide.htm




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, August 30, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment