Saturday, April 21, 2012

"Tasso Bar Resto" Has anyone eaten there?

Has any one tried this restaurant?





http://www.tassobxl.be/





My Wife and I are going to be seeing %26quot;Cavalia%26quot; (www.cavalia.net) at %26quot;Tour and Taxis%26quot; and this restaurant is located there.





I was thinking about making reservations there so that we are already in the area where the event is being held and won%26#39;t have to check our watches all the time and stress about getting to the venue on time :-).





The menu looks fine but it would be nice to hear an opinion if anyone has tried it.





Thanks



Robert




|||



I just found out that we can%26#39;t eat there (Tasso) because it is the restaurant that Cavalia is using for %26quot;Dinner and Show%26quot; tickets so they are fully booked.





Now I have two new questions in regards to eating.





First can anyone recommend a restaurant that is within 15 min walking distance from Tour %26amp; Taxis (it looks like it might be a little out in the country side so I%26#39;m not so maybe We%26#39;re out of luck there).





The second is, what time do restaurantsa open (on average)? I was in Italy (Milano) for a month last August for my work and people eat really late there. Most restaurants didn%26#39;t open before 7:30 and my partner and I were alway the first ones to show up!





Thanks




|||



It%26#39;s certainly not in the countryside, more an industrial wasteland! Tour et Taxis is the old postal depot and not far from the port of Brussels, so there are mostly customs offices and import/export agents up there. It%26#39;s a bit of a desert restaurant-wise - Tasso is part of the redevelopment of Tour et Taxis itself and therefore something of a departure for that area. Plus, I think Cavalia is being held in a circus-type tent and I%26#39;m not sure exactly where this is in relation to T%26amp;T.



Restaurants here generally open at 19.00 but hotel coffee shops and café-brasserie-type places are open all day and would be your best bet if you want to eat earlier. The only place that springs to mind is the Crescendo Restaurant at the Sheraton Hotel at Rogier, from where it would be about 5 minutes by taxi. However, I will ask around.




|||



Thanks.





I guess %26quot;remote%26quot; was more the word I was looking for. I%26#39;m pretty sure that Cavalia is being held on the Tour et Taxis grounds, (maybe the tent will be in the parking lot) or at least extremely close, especially when they are using Restaurant Tasso for their event.





I was afraid of that with opening time of restaurants. I think we%26#39;ll plan on a nice dinner at a nice restaurant friday, and then maybe something less formal on saturday when we are going to the show. I want to make sure that we are there a half hour before (7:30) so any %26quot;formal%26quot; dining will probably be out of the question. We%26#39;ll probably be stuffed from going around all day eating Belgian waffels and chocolate (and maybe having a beer or two) anyway :-).





But still, if you hear about anything in the area, it would still be nice to know so that we have all options open.




|||



I realised that I do know a nice café a lot closer to T%26amp;T than the Sheraton, which is that of the Kaaitheater, see http://www.kaaitheater.be/page.jsp?id=101. It is by Yser metro station which is one stop from Ribaucourt, the stop I believe you would use for Cavalia, and I think would even be within walking distance provided the weather was fine. The only thing is, it doesn%26#39;t mention its opening hours (which might vary depending on what the theatre itself is programming) and I have only been there at lunchtime during a special %26quot;tasting%26quot; week, so I will try to drop by and see whether they are open in the late afternoon and whether the circus tent Cavalia is to be held in is visible from there.




|||



I went to T%26amp;T today to check out the new shops and confirmed that the closest decent café is the one at the Kaaitheater. It is open from 11 till 23.00 and serves snacks like croque monsieur, sandwiches and panini all day and meals like steak and chips, chicken, pasta, salads, from 18.00. To get there, you would get off the metro at Yser, walk towards the front of the train, take the escalator and exit to the right. On the big boulevard turn right towards the Citroen building, the Kaaitheater is just past that and the café just beyond the theater. To get to the show afterwards it isn%26#39;t worth taking the metro to Ribaucourt: instead, walk across the canal and turn right into Avenue du Port. With the canal on your right, pass all the modern buildings, mostly belonging to the KBC bank, on your left, keep going past the red brick T%26amp;T building, and turn left into the car park at the far end, at this point you will see the Cavalia tent ahead of you. It takes about 20 minutes.



There are 2 other options:



1) At each end of rue de Ribaucourt which is the street across the road from Ribaucourt metro station leading, eventually, to the South entrance to T%26amp;T, there is a %26quot;friterie%26quot; or chip shop. However I must warn you that that is a horrible run-down street. If you go that way, at the end of rue de Ribaucourt turn right into rue de Picard and you will find the main entrance to the T%26amp;T complex on your left. You can either walk northwards between the 2 T%26amp;T buildings or go inside the biggest one and walk through it, passing Tasso just inside the South entrance, and the wine bar Senso - which unfortunately doesn%26#39;t serve food - just inside the North one.



2) I happened to notice that La Taverne du Passage in the Galeries St. Hubert serves food non-stop from 12 till 24.00 and Chez Leon (famous for moules-frites) around the corner in rue des Bouchers, from 12 till 23.00. You could, therefore, have an early dinner there - or for that matter at the Sheraton or one of the tavernes in the rue du Progrès near the Gare du Nord - and then take a taxi to T%26amp;T. Except from the Gare du Nord (bus 14) there is no direct way by public transport, you%26#39;d have to catch an underground tram from Bourse/De Brouckère, both 10 minutes walk away, to Rogier and change there for Yser/Ribaucourt, and of course allow 20 minutes from there.




|||



Wow! Thanks for the detailed info. That%26#39;s help above and beyond the call of duty!





I have one last question (for now).





Are there %26quot;Cavalia%26quot; banners set up all over the city? I ask this because my wife still doesn%26#39;t know what we are doing (I like to surprise her...when possible), and I haven%26#39;t decided how much to tell her and when, but she%26#39;ll deffinately put two and two together if she sees a banner for Cavalia (which will also be ok..once we are in Brussels).





She doesn%26#39;t even know we are going to Brussels yet (just that I planned a romantic weekend for two...alone), and won%26#39;t untill we get to the check-in counter at the airport (and yes, I have her passport and am going to make sure there are no liquids in her purse)! I%26#39;m going to give her a folder in the plane with all the tips and advice I%26#39;ve printed from this Forum and I might hold back anything about Cavalia if I think it%26#39;s possible to keep it quite when we get to Brussels.





Best Regards



Robert




|||



There aren%26#39;t any huge banners (yet - I don%26#39;t think it starts till 8/3) but there are some small posters in shop windows: not many in my opinion but then my eye isn%26#39;t drawn to horses the way your wife%26#39;s might be.



Have a great trip, anyway, I hope it all goes smoothly.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, August 17, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment