Thursday, April 12, 2012

Cell phone text or internet

Hi



Couple in 50%26#39;s from New Zealand



travelling London, Paris, Dijon, Milan, Venice, Rome, Lucerne, Vienna, Prague, Cologne, Luxemburg, Brussels, Frankfurt over about seven weeks by rail.





To keep in contact with hotel bookings and maybe New Zealand any advise what is best and what supplier.





Our last trip in Canada used New Zealand Telecom and cost over $400 roaming calls. Do not want a repeat.





How secure are hotel internet for banking transfers and email?





Thanks




|||



I travel a lot and take my cell phone with me. I learned from my 1st experience that the roaming charges can be really expensive. Now, I go and buy a SIM card to switch out my phone with. Your cell phone needs to be unlocked and your cell phone provider can give you the code to unlock it. Once you get to your destination, just ask where the best place to buy a SIM card will be and you can purchase one for the amount of minutes you feel necessary. Last time, I paid about 30 euros and was able to make international calls through out 2 weeks (daily and multiple) and had time left over. You will need to have your passport present and the code to unlock the phone once you buy the SIM card. You should probably be able to use the same SIM card outside the country it was puchased in.





I wouldn’t bother buying a phone card. I’ve bought them before and then find a very difficult time finding a public phone that I can understand how to work it along with the card, and if you use a hotel phone, they may charge you for calling the calling card number.





I’ve used plenty internet services in hotels and at internet cafes. Luckily I’ve never had any issues with security. Of course, I wouldn’t use one that looks to be a bit shady.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, August 28, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment